Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I am going down!

Wednesday was a day of uncertain news and a chili cook-off. There was a brief unit function and then much of the unit speed off to spend time with their family. A wave of boredom overtook Ms. JB and I once again. What was the bright idea which arouse out of boredom you ask? Well in the spirit of giving thanks we decided to give blood for the American Red Cross. Ms. JB says that her office used to do this all together and then go to lunch. Sounded like a great thing to do!  So we were leaving the PX when this bright idea struck so we whipped our large white marshmallow van around and screeched into a parking spot.  Found the registration desk which wasn’t were it was supposed to be then made the head high, pep in our step march to the big Red Cross Van sitting quietly in front of the PX. 

We get in and go through all the paperwork and medical clearance steps. They sit me in a bed and start getting me all hooked up. So picture this.. you have a bus the size of a greyhound maybe.. with 3 bedlike structures on each side. The aisle in the middle is about the size of the aisle in a normal bus and you have about 4 women and a man running back in forth. These 5 personnel are no way near slim to put it nicely. So needless to say it was cramped quarters.  So they get me all hooked up and the blood starts flowing. Ms. JB comes out and they start prepping her, she sits right across from me so we can chit-chat.

My arm is hurting a little at first because of the needle but I keep pumping my fist. The ladies are doing way too many things at the same time so it is almost like a quiet chaos. My bag is almost filled and two ladies start going back in forth bantering about clamping my tube and who was going to do it. As they argue my blood bag gets too full and the blood has no place to go but back from where it came from! Back into my body! So as they banter.. I quietly say “I think I am going to pass out” I start seeing a black curtain drop in front of my eyes and stars appear. I try to fight the feeling of falling asleep (passing out) and they start panicking.  I can hear Ms. JB saying my name and the ladies telling me to keep my eyes open but they are just too heavy! When you pass out there is no magical light it is all black and its pulling me in… LMAO.  Ms. JB says I am talking slowly about stars and my leg is shaking out of control. (I do not know any of this at the time). The ladies start putting wet towel on my head and splash some water on my face. The ladies even go as far as putting a biohazard barf bag on front of me. Then some crazy lady thinks it will be funny/helpful to poor a whole bottle of water over me…. Hello! I’m saved! Call off the Paramedics, EMS and Police….I am Awake, Wet and Freezing.  Really all you had to do was let me sleep for a few minutes… there was no need to call in the shower team. So finally I wake up and try to get myself back together.. I would like that Sprite now please and my free T-Shirt!

So yes I am a little embarrassed about this extravaganza although I truly believe that it had everything to do with these ladies allowing my blood to backup into my arm again. I can honestly laugh about it now. I told Ms. JB that she had to take this story to her grave but she thought it wouldn’t be fair to all of you readers.  But she says the song for this story is Mary J. Blige… “I’m Going Down… I’m Going Down when your not around…. My whole world’s upside down.. Sleep don’t come easy” I was going down alright!  Too funny!  Note sure if I will be giving blood soon. Maybe in the future when boredom strikes again! Thanks Battle Buddy for keeping me alive!


No comments:

Post a Comment