Total Pageviews

Friday, December 2, 2011

Training is Coming to an End!

The last 30 days in Fort Campbell have been a rollercoaster of emotions, uncertainties, laughs, cries and goodbyes!  34 of us came to Fort Campbell with the knowledge that we were all going to deploy. The first week was full of high spirits and as much motivation you can conjure up from a bunch of CID agents.  After week one the powers above decided they would change their minds and decided to wipe the slate clean.  The list of actual deployers was now blank. Nothing was for sure and we were all left in limbo for 2 weeks.  No one knew who was deploying, who was going home and which country we were going to call home for 9 months. We knew nothing.  So you can only imagine how frustrated we all were.

But through the last month we have eaten our way through boredom. We have eaten at almost every restaurant in a 15 mile radius.  We have introduced Japanese Steakhouses and Jamaican to our Fort Drum folks, had lick your friends fingers Buffalo Wild Wings, fed DB who is our bottomless pit and loves to order the biggest  steak, and I taught Ms. JB how to use chopsticks. We have eaten Sushi, Mexican, Southern Comfort food and Junk.  All good things include great food and good company!
Our Mod Squad drives around in a big white marshmallow van. One of our group likes to sing karaoke in the van on short and long rides… yesterday was Katy Perry “ California Gurls”, Marc Anthony, and a few country songs.  It is so hilarious but sometimes you just have to join in.  We keep telling him he will have to sing on our 17 hour bus ride in order to pass the time.  Not so sure everyone is going to appreciate it but I will.  

The time has come to finally say goodbye to all of those who didn’t make the cut. It is really hard to develop a strong team only to have to break that team up. We shared some good memories, laughs and stories and I hope in the future our paths cross again.  God’s Speed!


PROMOTION TIME!


I have been promotable for quite a few months and have just been waiting for the day where I can actually become a SFC.  My husband surprised me the other day by having Balloons and Edible Arrangements sent to my hotel to congratulate me on my promotion. It was such a great surprise which brought tears to my eyes.  My husband is my best friend and he always seems to surprise me when I least expect it.  Thank you Tuti!   So on 1 Dec 2011 I was pinned by my two friends SFC DS and WO1 PJB! (They were nice enough to pay it forward and promote me since I am far from home). 

I owe where I am today to my husband, my family, my friends and mentors. You all have supported me through this crazy journey by giving me advice, listening when I was confused and frustrated, supported me through 2 deployments and teaching, counseling and mentoring.  If it wasn’t for all of you and your support I may not have lasted 11 years.  I am now a lifer headed down the path towards retirement and ready for whatever challenges, experiences and memories.  A close friend recently told me “The sky is the limit for you”




Battle Buddies
The one part of the Army which never gets easier is meeting good people and then saying goodbye. There are those who come into your life and exit as quickly as they entered, there are those who make a small difference and teach you something and slowly fade into the horizon and then there are those who come into your life and leave a impression, a friendship blossoms, memories are made and no matter how many miles are between you; they will always be your battle buddy.  I have some greatest battle buddies like my first battle buddy Diana who I haven’t seen in 10 years she is now a teacher, married to a veteran and has a beautiful daughter.  She has always been one of my biggest fans. My first roommate in Korea was Ms. Jaime.  She has been out of the Army for awhile now but we can go months without talking to each other and when we speak it is like we spoke yesterday and we pick up where we left off.  Then there is my Hooker! I have known Barbie for 6 years and I have no idea why we became friends. It was just an Asian Connection I guess.  She is crazy and part of my family and I am a part of hers.  She is also my husband’s adopted sister.  So no matter how far away my battle buddies live we are always a phone call away.  Thank you ladies for being you!
There are so many others who have become lifelong friends. I know there will be others too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment