Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Finally Here!


So I finally made it to Kuwait on Friday night. It was a long and treacherous trip with started off with a 14 hour bus ride from Fort Campbell, KY to Norfolk, VA. We were driving on a nice big bus with a bathroom and had plenty of room. Unfortunately the first bus driver was falling asleep, which isn’t a good thing because it was snowing and raining on the first leg of our trip. The second bus driver was no better and it actually felt like I was in the back seat being driven by a drunk driver. We arrived in VA at 0100 and slept on the terminal floor to the wee hours of the morning. Then we started our plane rides across the world.  VA to Shannon, Ireland 5.5 hours.  Since we were flying with 200 Air Force Personnel… Ireland Airport….2 beer minimum.  No big deal to me because I don’t drink but I saw a few big smiles. A 3 hour layover onto a 6.5 hour flight to Qatar. We got off the plane in Qatar for a few hours and it was 70 deg and a beautiful breeze.  As we were about to land I looked out my window and saw all the flat land and sand dunes and finally reality hit me and I got a sinking feeling.. my thoughts… How is it I am coming back to the sandbox again? So we relaxed on the flight line between a couple buses and enjoyed to cool breeze.
Qatar to Kuwait City was only a few hours. Then the madness of locating everyone’s bags and getting everyone on the right bus.  Once that was finished everything worked itself out pretty quickly. Of course we had to say good-bye to our Afghanistan folks which was hard. Finally arrived at Camp Buerhing at 2330 hrs and got our rooms and unpacked a bit. Didn’t get more than 3 hours of sleep then up and atom.  Our living quarters are pretty sweet. Two rooms connected by a small hallway and we share a bathroom.  Not too shabby being permanent party for the first time. I could get used to this.
First few days we just got the tour and started the hand off. It is so hard finding everything because it all looks the same. But I will figure it out one way or another.  Went into a port o potty the other day and was surprised with a blast in the face of the worse smell I have smelt in a long time. I actually started dry heaving and had to back out. Ms. W was laughing her butt off until she went in and started dry heaving. Welcome back to Kuwait ladies!!! BLAAAAAAAA
So the dust has been pretty bad here the last few days. Note: Do not put chapstick, lip balm or lip gloss on prior to going outside.  Have you ever used St. Ives Apricot Face Scrub.. well the sand makes your chapstick feel just like that! Sandpaper lip gloss.  #1 reason why I hate Kuwait today!
My blond moment for the week: Went into the dispatch office to introduce myself to some of the employees and walked out and couldn’t find my car keys.  Walked back in checked the desk, emptied all my pockets, walked out to the car to make sure I didn’t leave them inside…. No keys.  By this time I am cussing and scratching my head wondering how I could lose a set of keys in less than 5 mins.  Can you guess where they were? They were inside my hat and my hat was on my head…. Holy Cow am I in need of some help.. really in my hat which was on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment